A short history of the formation of Moore Township
In 1765, a large swath of land north of Bethlehem, between Easton and Northampton (what is now Allentown), and nestled against the Blue Mountains, was officially incorporated into a township Moore. It was named after John Moore, a member of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. But the history of this area and its people, did not begin-nor did it end-at this fateful founding.
A decade earlier, around 200 American Indians swarmed over the mountains leaving behind a trail of death and chaos. Estimates of 100-200 settlers were slain in Northampton County, and hundreds more were displaced. Homes and farms were burned, livestock was slain, crops were destroyed. Settlers from this region of the county, what would become Moore Township, fled inland into Nazareth and Bethlehem and Easton. William Parsons, one of the Justices of the Peace at Easton, wrote to Benjamin Franklin, who had founded the Philadelphia Associators in 1747, to bring his expertise and a few companies of men, along with arms, ammunition, and provisions, north to help calm the people of his county: "Pray, do something or give some order for our speedy relief, or the whole country will be entirely ruined...This is my real opinion, for all the Country is flying before them and no means are employed to stop them."
Ten years after the founding of Moore Township, the first shot of the American Revolution was fired on the Lexington Green, April 19, 1775. The Northampton County Committee of Observation and Inspection-the local military wing of the new Continental government that had taken over the Court House in Easton in the winter of 1774-ordered that all men able should associate into militia companies and that returns should be made of all companies from every township. From Moore, 106 men joined the rank of the military Association, and elected Adam Bruckhauser as Captain. and Timothy Reed as Lieutenant.
Between 1765 and today, so much has occurred in and around our small community that has left lasting impressions on our landscape today. A group of local men and women, united in purpose, formed a Historical Commission under the guidance of Township Supervisor Dick Gable and former Township Supervisor David Tashner, our resolve is to bring that history to life for the community.
Edelman School House
The township recently purchased the Edelman School House and began restoration. In the process of restoring this wonderful property, we are collecting any and all materials related to the School House from township residents. In addition, we are actively looking for anything that might help us to construct a narrative history of our township in general. Donations are most welcome; things we are looking for are: artifacts, photos, letters, uniforms, and family histories. If photos or documents are too precious to be donated, please consider contacting Dan Tanczos so scans of documents or photos can be made for the use of the Historical Commission. Likewise, clear photographs of any artifacts that might interest the Commission are acceptable if the artifacts themselves are too precious or personal. These donations can also be left with the Township Manager at the Township Municipal Building at 2491 Community Drive.